Sunday, February 26, 2017

Flying Cars at Riverview Amusement Park

If you grew up in Chicago back in the day you certainly knew Riverview park and likely went there more than a couple of times. I know we did and it was the thrill of the summer. That place had everything to ride on, play at, and eat. I came across this picture of the flying cars ride which I do not remember mostly because I'd guess my parents would never have let us go on it.

Flyingcars

Looks rather dangerous, eh? Could an amusement park have something like this nowadays? Doubtful. The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal has a page with all kinds of Riverview photos, history and black and white videos of actual rides. Some have strange ads ahead of them but they are worth a look if you remember Riverview.

I especially remember the Roto which had you go into a circular room or cylinder which would begin to spin and when the centrifugal force was strong enough to flatten you against the wall, the floor would drop down so that you were hanging on the wall with no footing at all. My mom would not go on this, or more accurately, go into this, but my dad took me in there more than once. Lots of schreeking. But fun and memorable.

Spinningroom

That place was the grand daddy of all amusment parks which followed.


Source: Flying Cars at Riverview Amusement Park

No comments:

Post a Comment